Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Always pack an extra umbrella


When we go through a trial it's natural to go inside ourselves and focus on our own lives. I feel there is a fine line between being: self sufficient and selfish. Being self sufficient is a necessity in most situations, but most of the time it turns to being selfish quickly. We see our problems as being the most important thing and we put all our energy into solving OUR problems rather than reaching out to those who are struggling as well. 

There have been times in my life where I have felt too busy, too overwhelmed, too tired, etc the list goes on. In reality, how hard is it to take 5 minutes to send a text or mail a card (we have the usps for a reason) when we think of someone? I found reasons to justify focusing on MY problems. We all have our own storms. All of us. What makes my life more important than someone else's life? Nothing. Most trials you go through, the blessing in the end is that you learn something so you can lift the burden off another's shoulders. Why don't we do this more often? I can not think of a more humbling experience than when I finally reached out to someone and saw how much suffering I could have eased; if only I did it sooner. 

People are placed in our lives for a reason. This is a lesson that keeps getting beat into my head. Your family is the most important thing. However, your family can consist of people that are not blood related. My dearest friends, that are considered family, were acquired from me looking past my own storm to extend an umbrella. 

Logically speaking: taking 5 minutes out of your day can make someone's 1,440 minutes (24hours). Which will then make your week consisting of 10,080 minutes and will take your mind off the storm you are currently facing. It's a win-win situation. Plus, you might actually smile a little more leading all the way back to being a more attractive human being. I know it's a stretch, but it doesn't hurt to try. 

2 comments: